A new phone

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software' started by Cactus, 21 Nov 2013.

1. Cactus The key is to never give up

Hey guys so for Christmas I'm getting a new phone and I was wondering which are the good phones on the market at the moment?

My old phone was a samsung tocco lite which is 4 years old and is in terrible condition.

So I know there are some obvious contenders (e.g. Iphone 5/Samsung Galaxy S3/4/5).

I don't think I'll be customising/doing all this editing that some of you guys do to make the phone run smoother so it doesn't matter if it's something like an IPhone (which I think is quite hard to customize unless you jailbreak it?).

E: I'm also wondering what the best phone case to get for a phone. I had none of my Tocco, but that's because it's brick-like, but I do have one on my Itouch, and that is a very cheap leather case from amazon (like £2), and that did fuck all in protecting my Ipod when I dropped it.

Thanks.

2. Mystia the Schnitzel Delivery Guy

Huawei Ascend p6, LG Optimus G2, LG Optimus G, alcatel Idol ultra are my suggestions, depending how much you want to pay

3. pray the xperia z1s makes an appearance before christmas, or look into the xperia z1 if you dont mind a huge (as in galaxy s3/s4 sized) phone

dont touch anything by samsung or htc if you aren't prepared to fiddle with custom roms

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Jolly Long Arm The Moon... It's far away!

I TOTALLY RECOMMEND NOKIA LUMIA!

(not)

5. Cactus The key is to never give up

Why would I have to fiddle with things on a samsung/htc?
    What sort of things are you saying I would have to be prepared to fiddle with/how does it make the phone better?
    If it's not that hard, and I understand the benefits of doing so, I may be more prepared to customise the phone.

6. don't even bother with samsung, everything past the galaxy s 2 is too proprietary to do much with, and touchwiz is a ridiculous layer of bloat that I wouldn't wish on anyone

try an htc phone to see what i mean compared to a more stock android phone like a nexus or an xperia - you might like htc sense ui after all

the benefits of stock android are that it is faster, smoother and much better designed - Google have long since caught up on Apple in terms of UI etc, but you wouldn't think it because the popular android phones are covered in customised bloaty shit from their manufacturers. when I say fiddling with shit i basically mean returning them to something close to stock android, but you obviously are far better off getting something that comes that way as standard

7. also consider a nexus 5 if you dont need micro sd or a great camera

8. Dan Chief Detective at GM Police HQ - Jagex #1 Fan!

iPhone 5 master race reporting in.

Everything just works. You don't have to fuck around, nothing fucks you around. App store is 10/10, massive range plus you don't get a lot of shite on it because of the strict approval process.

Camera is nice, iTunes is nice, I like the double mic - noise cancelling shit.

Again, it really is no bullshit, everything just works as intended. Once in a blue moon you get the odd crash due to ridiculous whatsapp chats, but that's really it.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. it's exactly the same experience on any other flagship android phone <2 years old that wasn't made by samsung

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  10. Cactus The key is to never give up

So are IPhones actually a good buy? I understand many people are happy with them, but I always felt they weren't their price value.

and Samsung Galaxy S3&4 aren't good buys? (oddly enough I went out today and was looking at them thinking they were good :( ).

I saw the xperia z1 (iirc) and the screen was pretty big.

11. Dan Chief Detective at GM Police HQ - Jagex #1 Fan!

Dark is a die hard fanboy, but so am I. So he'll say they're shite, but I love mine. I upgrade every other year and the price I get from selling my old one buys me a new one. It's a pretty good deal, they hold value better than most other phones.

I bought a 4 back in the day and I'm on my second year with my 5 and I love it. Apple Care is awesome too. I had a lot of dust built up in my power connector, so it was hard to charge it. Made an appointment, took it in and they gave me a brand new phone. FOR FUCKING DUST IN MY POWER CONNECTOR. I thought that was ridiculously good customer service.

If you don't want any bullshit and you just want shit to work, it's perfect. Syncs well with my Macbook though so that's another reason I like them so much.

Everyone cries about customisation, but holy fuck, if you want to customise it that fucking bad, jailbreak. It's literally so easy these days, you go to one website and click one button and you're done. Literally no effort. But it voids your warranty! Bullshit, stick it in DFU mode and you're totally fine. If it won't turn on, you'll probably be fine. But if you smash the screen or something and it still functions you can wipe it v easily without even connecting to a computer.

Customisation really isn't the fucking end of the world, like realistically, the only feature I miss from when I jailbroke my phone was the different font. I liked a more curly/cursive font. iOS has come on leaps and bounds and there is literally nothing else I would change even if I could.

But yeah, I'm a fanboy, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend I'm not. They're fucking amazing.

E: Also, just, they're fucking beautiful. I don't want some plastic-y piece of shit.

12. iphones are absolutely are worth their price, same as any other flagship

if you like touchwiz (samsung's ui) and didnt notice any lag then fair enough. just keep in mind they are the iphones of the android world - all marketing and no substance

z1 is huge yes - the only good one-handed phone on the market atm is the iphone, until the xperia z1s is released (looking like january)

13. but yeah if you have to buy a flagship phone before christmas, an iphone is the best choice in my opinion

i'd sooner seppuku than get a phone i can't comfortably grip and use with one hand and i have fairly big hands

especially with android having made the top-left corner so important in the latest ui refresh

14. Cactus The key is to never give up

I am now looking into an IPhone 5S but the contract prices are all £35+ (expected, but still :( ) - and I'm only looking at the 16gb model.

15. Cactus The key is to never give up

Also is 5s a lot better than 5c or is it not worth the extra money?

16. Humpers GM's Resident #420 Twatmeister General

pls no iphone

Get an iphone, they're not a waste of money at all. They also don't break if you drop them more than 3/4 of a foot. The software will never reach the point where it no longer works with the handset and the handset itself never stops working due to hardware stopping functioning.

SDIT: Sorry Dan, forgot I'm not allowed to dislike apple. Fixed.

Last edited: 22 Nov 2013
  17. Dan Chief Detective at GM Police HQ - Jagex #1 Fan!

I got the 64GB version this year, you get a fuck tonne of money for selling it two years later and it offsets some of the price.

After two years, I try and bargain to get an upgrade for free. If it doesn't work, I tell them I'm leaving. If they still don't give in, I say I'll think about it, hang up and try again later. Worked first time this year though. Sold my iPhone 4 for like 200 quid which was pretty cheap, but I sold mine late because my contract wasn't up for another while. They were selling for high 200s for the 32gb version, 300-350 for the 64GB iirc. Depends on where you sell and at what time. Plus, I always try and keep my phone in as good as new condition as possible. After two years, I'd say it was a 95-97%. So coming up to Christmas + good condition plus box and all that shite, you get good money. Apple phones are desirable to the masses.

Anyway, you take that 200-300, stick it back in and that's a good chunk of your contract payed for. You just gotta take the initial hit, I guess.

Then again, I'm just a lowly fanboy who is grasping at straws to rationalise spending a shit tonne of money on a phone. I think it's worth it though, and as long as you take good care of it, there'll always be someone looking for it. Even the first gen iPhone 4's with their dreaded 'antenna-gate' which was fucking ridiculous because you can literally do it to any phone and it never ever bothered me in my two solid years. It was like sure, I can make it happen, but that's true for any phone. In daily use? Hasn't bothered me once.

Just some top tips to avoid raping your bank account.

Also check out http://www.mobiles.co.uk/ I think that's the site. @Darkimmortal can confirm. He recommended it. You basically get sweet deals and a load of cash back on contracts that can save you ridiculous dolla. He used it for his S1 iirc.

E: @Sucky you posted "pls no iphone" before you edited. You didn't add any of the other shit. It was a dumb post considering Dark and I have already discussed it and we've agreed they're not actually that bad. It wasn't because you're hating on iPhones, I didn't douglas Dark. It was because you presented no argument at all and you literally just bashed for what looked like no reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Cactus The key is to never give up

Thanks for the site I was using http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/ which seems to offer the same things.

It is annoying on that site as the best deals seem to be for the IPhone 5S Gold and I was really looking for the "Space Grey" (which is as far as I can see the original black colour).

19. Dan Chief Detective at GM Police HQ - Jagex #1 Fan!

Everyone seems to be DYING over the gold. I don't love it to be honest. Classic Black, or 'Space Grey', for me.

20. Cactus The key is to never give up

I completely agree, the gold doesn't even seem the best colour and too be honest I'm getting a case for it anyway, so the back will probably be covered anyway. That being said, if the best deals are for the gold one, I'll probably grab a gold one.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)