Did Discord kill the forums?

Discussion in 'Server/Website Chat' started by Queenie, 20 Jun 2017.

1. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

So we have had the Discord for some time now and people were really enthousiastic about getting it and people who didn't join Mumble would for sure be more active.

Yet the only thing that has seemed to happen was the forums dying a slow death.

Said people are not more active at all, new people still don't (really) join in. It's litteraly the same groups of people as in Mumble (except the Irish who never left Mumble).

Every time I look on the forums I mostly see bots.

I am happy with Discord cus tbh to me it made no difference but I think it is a shame we really wanted more peeps here and now it just seems to be in a back room silently... dying.

I just wonder if this is what we wanted to happen.

2. It's unfortunate, not really a fan of the chatroom format of discord, compared to the forum which is nice to check on a daily/occasional basis

3. NomNom Chompski BURNING LOVEEEE

Discord is more convienent than the forums, but i still visit daily, for the most part gaming forums arent really that popular now unless its a massive community, discord is handy for upto date talking with people forums have the bonus of being basically an easy to search archive. But forums on a whole aren't that popular now, some of the bigger forums im on are dropping in visitor count because most younger people dont really care.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • List
  4. I prefer the forums to discord, but I feel like discord will slowly kill the forums sadly. :smith:

5. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

But that's the thing, you were one of the people and I quote " Bumping up, Discord has really came a long way and imo has surpassed mumble/ts/skype, I know a few members (me included) would probably be more active in voice if we had a Discord server. Lets get the hype train going!" (can't use actual quote thing cus thread is locked)

Now that people are indeed not at all more active then before....

The forums gave us as a close group of friends certain benefits Discord does not. We shared stories, pictures music etc in easily overseen threads. That is the part I am really starting to miss and I think that this was also what made us like each other more (because you could share more with others).

I understand forums are not as popular as 5 years ago, but does that really matter?

The only plus side that I can find that happened out of all of this was for people who already use Discord with other groups of friends. For GM it has, as far as I can tell, had no positive effect whatsoever.

6. HellJack A message was delivered, and received.

To be fair, the forums started to slow down well before we even started discussing Discord.

I'm of the opinion that our forums just aren't used the same way because we're not the same group of people we used to be.

Some of our ranks have grown, entered the work place, or started real life relationships.

Others, like me, we're already as adult as we're gonna get when we first showed up...so out level of activity rarely changes.

We've changed.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • List
  7. Jolly Long Arm The Moon... It's far away!

I think that alot of times its easier to post a link in discord than make a thread here on the forums.

Only if it requires a fair bit of reading or explaining then the forums are superior.

Additionally organising events/games can more easily be done here on the forums where it is easily accessable,
    rather than scrolling up for ages to find a specific thing on discord.

8. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

I totally agree with this but still wonder if the forums should not get more attention then it has the last few months. As in is there a way to link the 2 more together. It just feels "odd" (not sure which word to use) to look at GM Discord and the forums.

I know Discord was suppose to also help with getting new people to join but... it has not.

9. HellJack A message was delivered, and received.

...yet...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  10. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

Yet? New people are on Discord list but do not really join. Or is that not what you mean?

11. Gaw discord is my friend now

There's only one thread with an invite link, no adverts on any of the servers.. no real combined effort to get people into Discord at all. I believe we've already got more people on Discord than people on the Members page, which is good but there's still a long way to go. I expected an uphill battle and that's what we have.

edit: And do I appreciate all the invites people have sent to their friends, but there's still a lot more we can do!

Last edited: 22 Jun 2017
  12. tbh forums have been dead for a year now anyway

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  13. Subv You ain't even lord of your yard

yeah the discord might be just a nail in the coffin really, the forums have been not really active for the past year or so, at least, not nearly on the same level as 2+ years ago, times have changed unfortunately.

14. we're are the last few remnants

If people don't want to use the forums then they don't have too.

The reason people don't use the forums even though there are adverts everywhere on the servers is cause it's pretty much deceased. RIP in peace foruma

Discord was an excellent idea, forums only work if there are a fair few people say like 30. Due to the fact that even with 20 active members a forum would still be pretty quiet because that just isn't enough people for that to work.

15. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

I am not against Discord nor am I saying it was bad, it was more the question if we are now to let the forums die off even more then b4 we had Discord. I am not trying to debate if Discord was a good move or not.

But like I said, even in Discord it is literally the exact same groups of people as in mumble.

But people are not really getting my point so I will just leave it at this because I do not know how else to explain it differently then I have :)

16. No surrender

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Discord killed forums

2. did discord kill forums