Dota 2 vs LoL

Discussion in 'Dota 2' started by Akiba, 23 May 2013.

1. Akiba Terminus Ut Exordium

I recently just started playing Dota to learn more about the MOBA genre sinply because I had it and it was free, I wasn't expected to enjoy it so much and was wondering if I should make the switch to league before I get too invested in one, and for what reasons I should if applicable.

Basically, what makes Lol better than Dota 2 and vice versa?

Please don't turn this into a flame war because that's not gonna help me at all.

2. Your best bet would be to try League for yourself and decide which you prefer. It's free to play, so just download it and have a go.

To put it very broadly though, Dota 2 is a faithful reconstruction of the original Warcraft 3 mod, DotA-Allstars, in a new engine. It comes with most of its complexities and mechanical aspects left almost entirely intact.

League of Legends clearly derives a great deal from the DotA formula but at the same time it attempts to modernise and streamline Warcraft 3's mechanics into its own MOBA formula.

I've only played 22 hours of Dota 2 whereas I've probably played or watched some 2000+~ hours of League. I've learned a lot of the nuances of League and still have tons more to learn and practice, so if Dota 2 has anywhere near the same level of depth, it's impossible for me to ever give a truly objective side by side comparison. This is probably the same for everyone on this forum. I will say though that, for me, League's system is much more responsive and immediately satisfying to learn and play with. Streamlining a decade+ old engine to me makes a lot of sense, and it cuts out a lot of unnecessary complexity in order to allow you to just 'play better' with your general reactions and internal strategies. While the MOBA genre is generally a crazy and confusing one to learn at first, League felt like it did the better job at easing me in and helping me understand things.

The big difference between Dota 2 and League as far as GM is concerned is that a LOT of people play League here daily/weekly. There's tons of new and old players to jump into groups with and learn the game, so if you're into having a good community base, it's already established within League.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  3. Akiba Terminus Ut Exordium

Ok so a question for people who are experienced with both, can anyone give me a LoL champion that plays similarly to Jakiro and/or Clinkz?

4. Geit Coding wizard!

Jakiro:
    • Brand
    Clinkz, combination of:
    • Ashe
    • Cho'Gath
    • Akali

5. Vallun I don't take drugs I just take naps.

Ashkagath.

6. ima Bean Go ham or go home.

Not sure if this matters to you at all, but playing LoL will mean you'll have tons of people in GM to play with at any time :D

7. Brent ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I've been wondering why Dota 2's hero movement feels sloppy and unresponsive compared to LoL. This has to do with the turn rates of characters. It's not instantly like in leagues. Moving in a little circle instead of turning around immediately makes you turn faster.
    Also Dota 2 feels a lot more slowpaced. Mana costs of every hero I've played with so far (16~) are very high. A QWE combo at lvl 3 drains your whole mana bar for example. Mana regen without any items is awfully slow, you don't have any customization as far as I know like masteries or runes.

LoL has a better UI ingame and Dota 2 has a better main menu. It's like league of legends took out all the irritating stuff like the movement system from Dota and Dota 2 stayed true to its core. I must say Dota 2 has some fun mechanics like the secret shop and a day and night cycle though.

8. Yeah Clinkz just sounds like he would translate into an AD Carry in League. Ashe is probably a very good shout - she's generally really good to learn the basic mechanics with anyway and extremely cheap IP-wise.

I suppose one of the biggest differences between the games is that Dota 2 allows you to play every single hero immediately right off the bat. League has 10 free champions available rotating around each week, and you can purchase new champs using IP (in-game currency gained through playing) or RP (real money). I know there's plenty of arguments for either system but I personally like how, for new players, 10 champs at a time means you're more likely to see a certain set of champs each week so you can learn how to play with or against them in a more focused manner, rather than be flooded with everything at once.

My suggestion would be to just try out all the free champs and see who you like. Eventually a champ will just work for you and you'll most likely have enough IP to pick them up.

9. Mr.Bam Praise the sun!

This is basicly because you can kill people with only 1 or 2 spell rotations/combos. In lane it is easy to make a mistake. When a mistake is made the opponent will most likely be able to punish this mistake, just as in league. However, the opponent is able to punish you 100X harder than he is able to in in league. Abilities do not scale with AP as they do in league, they deal high damage by default.

Also a difference in league is the whole item and 'speccing' thing. In Dota, the cheapest items are the most efficient items, in league the expensive items are the most gold-efficient. This means that in league you are able to get fed really easy and roflstomp the rest of the game since you are a lot stronger more quicker. In dota you won't gain that much more of a lead when the enemy has a better item, since 10X the stats can cost 40X the gold and there are cheaper items to close the gap. It is harder to get fed in dota, but when you get fed it is more of a terror.

In league the items you buy usually give you extra auto-attack power, extra ability-power, tankyness/HP or a mix of the three plus some utility. Focussing on damage is the first thing you do in league.
    Dota has strength, agility and intelligence. Strength gives hp and damage to strength heroes, agility gives attackspeed, (armour?) and damage to agility heroes and intellegence gives mana regen and damage to intellegence heroes (not so sure about this one). In dota people usually buy utility first and don't start with damage.

The abilities and champions are also very dull compared to dota abilities and heroes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Some of Dota 2's abilities can be truly outrageously awesome, I'll give you that. It's built around heroes being hard-counters to each other and such, right? Whereas League I feel they tried to go for a more soft counter system that can be offset somewhat by item building.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. mrljbk Osu Wizard

Tim sucks

• Sexual Tension Sexual Tension x 2
    • Mad Mad x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. I really love DotA, and i havent really tried LoL. Is it easy to go over from DotA to LoL. Like with the learning curve of mobas-

13. Cookies4you Crippling Pickling Prickling Disorder

Kind of late, but whatever...

It's easy to go from Dota to LoL, but not vice-verse.

The thing about Dota is, it's learning curve is a fucking cube.

You either cross over it, break through it, or you simply give up. There's no easy path for going under or around.

On the bright side, if you sink enough hours in it, you'll pick up some important MOBA skills such as:

- Last hitting
    - Ward placements
    - Distance approximation
    - Animation cancelling (some have it, some don't)

When I went from Dota to LoL, the only learning curve I had was recognizing the items and learning the champions.

I did extremely well during my initial level grinding. Most players thought I was a smurf, and now, I'm an average unranked 30.

14. imFree (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I heard of this game called Sims , it sounds alot like LoL and DotA 2 , people say its better though.

15. Sims has higher skill ceiling

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dota 2 vs lol

2. dota 2 vs league of legends

3. league of legends and dota 2 hero comparison

4. dota 2 feels unresponsive,
  5. www.gamingmasters.org dota-2-vs-lol,
  6. dota 2 vs. league of legends,
  7. mod-dota / mod-dota / ?id= org,
  8. dota 2 vs lol threads,
  9. lol vs dota 2 mechanics,
  10. difference between dota and lol