Finalising Wastelands 2.0

Discussion in 'The Wastelands' started by Mysteryem, 7 Mar 2013.

1. Jindo Just Look at the Parking Lot, Larry.

With MCEdit you can select large areas of your structure and replace specific blocks with other blocks. So you could select the insides of your build and replace Air with Bedrock.

2. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

3. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

Not on the server yet but I spent basically my entire evening working on the combat logging and player zombie spawning on death.
    Upon death (except death by player [need to test], drowning, suffocating and falling into the void [list can be expanded/reduced for other types of death]) a zombie will spawn with your head, wearing the best armour in your inventory and your best weapon/tool (default orders are: Armour: Diamond, Iron, Chain, Gold, Leather, Tools(first factor): Swords, Axes, Pickaxes, Hoes, Shovels, Tool-materials(second factor): Diamond, Iron, Gold, Stone, Wood). The rest of your inventory will be stored internally and dropped when the zombie dies (the armour will also drop with a 100% chance by default, though can be changed)(the player head has a 0% drop chance by default).

Initiating or receiving any damage through combat will now activate the combat logger. Logging of will kill you (not just drop your stuff and/or spawn the zombie that represents you) and spawn the zombie with all your stuff. The cool off period before you can safely log out can be modified easily.

4. You are such a wizard. This is why we love you so.

5. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

6. I'll test it whenever you like buddy :)

7. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

I wanna kill them!!!!

8. Easy tiger, easy!

9. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

The zombies on player death/logout + combat logging seems to be working pretty much how I want it to now. Here is a run down of the features:

For starters, taking damage from any entity should put you into plain old 'combat'.

PvP combat is initiated by being hit by:
    • a player thrown potion with harmful effects (effects are: Slowness, Poison, Instant Damage and all the unobtainable ones such as Blindness and Nausea)
    • a player launched arrow
    • another player hitting you
    You can put yourself into PvP combat by hitting yourself with your own arrow/splash potion.
    If a player dies during PvP combat (either initiated by PvP or PvP during the time that the player is 'in combat') they will not create a zombie on death. (completely ignores the finishing blow)

In addition to the above, drowning, THE VOID, suffocating and TNT should not spawn a player zombie. I am still a bit undecided on whether or not arrows and/or splash potions fired from dispensers should spawn player zombies.

The player zombies have all of the traits described in https://www.gamingmasters.org/threads/finalising-wastelands-2-0.7777/page-4#post-147848 however they will no longer despawn naturally. After 5 minutes (configurable) of life time, if they receive damage from anything but falling, fire or lightning, they will be able to despawn naturally (I can look into a way of also making them able to despawn again after a long time has passed if it's wanted, probably check the entities when chunks unload).

There is a chance that some of the items in a player zombie's inventory get lost when they. This chance increases over time, as does the amount lost if you are unlucky. You can see the current values here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao6BH5jHk8uadDZtMGV4cnktSVpPNkd4V0hqblZHU0E&usp=sharing for example, by about 43.5 minutes, all of the items will be lost and for any items (though specifically for items which stack up to 64), before about 10.4 minutes have passed, it is not possible to lose any of the items. (originally designed for 10 minutes, I rounded to make it a simpler equation hence why it is now 10.4).

Note: If the server is restarted, all player zombies will lose their stored items and will become able to despawn again.

10. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

Ok, it is mostly to fix my spawning mechanism so that zombies and skeletons yet again have a chance to spawn with armour/weapons, however, as part of it, it also allows for custom outfitted mobs (can be extended to zombie pigmen and/or wither skeletons). The only thing I need to finish is giving zombies random weapons with a chance for random enchantments.
    There are 3 options:
    • All gear is random (including enchantments, though higher level enchantments appear less often and you can't have anything that wouldn't normally be possible (with the exception of unbreaking and thorns now being added to list), so projectile protection and blast protection is not possible. (max of two enchantments per gear atm (can be increased) and the highest level possible of each enchantment (excluding aqua affinty is not possible)
    • All gear is chosen from a list of preset armour and/or weapon.
    • A mix of the two (in this case, separate chances of the mobs spawning with gear can be defined)
    A set of gear consists of:
    1. Which mob the gear is for (skeleton, zombie or zombie pigman)
    2. The type of armour (leather, chain, gold...)
    3. The enchantments and their levels, specific to each piece of armour
    4. If the armour is leather, the #RRGGBB colour of each individual piece (or can be all random or only some random)
    5. A weapon or any other held item and it's properties
    For example, I made a zombie gear set which consisted of Fire Protection I leather armour which was yellow on the boots and then moved up until it was red on the helmet along with a Sharpness I and Fire Aspect I.

I aim to keep the chance that any of the gear from any set (incl. random sets) will drop when the mob is killed constant. If you really think this is a bad idea I can add the functionality to do it on a per set basis, but at this time, I don't plan to.

##############################################################

After tomorrow(I'm out all day today (Tuesday)), I plan on putting the finishing touches to the terrain generation. Any resources which are not added through terrain generation, but which should still be available, e.g. nether wart, can be added as mob drops. (these drops may require a bunch of criteria to happen, e.g., with a gold sword, 2-3 glowstone blocks drop, anythign else you get 2-5 glowstone dust, but if it's raining on the server at the time, you get a 25% chance at 0-1 ghast tears etc. or can be kept simple. A simple but also complex idea would be a better chance/more drops if you have a better sword)

• Like Like x 1
    • Wizard Wizard x 1
    • List
  11. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

The wastelands server is suffering disastrous map generation problems, I don't see it going up until this is fixed by the mod authors.
    The much brighter area is what the entire map should look like. The almost entirely blue area is only generating ores at the corners of chunks and the mostly blue area with bits of green is generating ores down one edge of chunks. The bits that are at completely different heights are areas whereby the terrain didn't generate properly. (on the wastelands map, this would mean that all of the netherrack in these chunks would still be smoothstone (and all the lava still lava instead of ice)
    wastelandsisscrewed.png

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Wizard Wizard x 1
    • List
  12. BlueheadedPants Why Hello There

When will Wastelands be up? I'm eager to try it out! :D

13. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

While I'm busy converting our current structures generated with the map generation to the new file format (this will prevent them spawning with massive overhangs), it would be nice if we could get some dungeon-like structures (or anything else fitting) for spawning underground as pretty much everything we have so far is for spawning above ground.

14. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

You want people to make things?
    A very cool structure was the huge dungeons I found in the Twilight Forest.

15. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

Well, yeah, people have already made things for the server. The advantage of the new format is that we can include mob spawners (with any custom data) and chests with contents. You can also place a random block (includes the mob spawners/chests) from a list of blocks.

And I'm not thinking quite that huge. This is just to spice up the underground mining to create little pockets of 'stuff' that you could come across.

Imagine digging through the wastelands to come across an underground grotto filled with flowers and mushroom with a stone statue in the middle or coming across a large deposit of ore which has been boobytrapped with tnt.

16. Jindo Just Look at the Parking Lot, Larry.

You mention new format, is there anything we should be doing differently when preparing structures to send to you than previously?

I'm very interested in contributing some underground stuff!

EDIT: Also which version of Minecraft is Wastelands now going to be fixed for?

17. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

That's a VERY nice idea. But tbf, like last time I had to fill up all the open space for it to copy over. I can not be asked to do that.

18. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

I'm currently working with 1.6.2.

Schematics for underground structures are easier as you want the air replacing blocks. If you're using any new blocks then if you could tell me that would be great (as I'll need to make another update to the BetterBoB program to prevent it crashing).

Filling up air blocks was not difficult Queen, you had either singleplayer commands or mcedit at your disposal.
    And anyway, since I'm going to be forcing the structures to only spawn in places where most of the land they go in is flat, you shouldn't need to do that.

Edit: We could also install http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/bo3tools/ on the vanilla server, or you can set up your own local bukkit server with the plugin on it.

19. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

I did not say it was difficult.

But never having used MC edit it was very confusing. Just saying.

20. Mysteryem The Dividing Line

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)