FO4 - Hints and Tips [No Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Fallout 4' started by HellJack, 12 Nov 2015.

1. HellJack A message was delivered, and received.

Howdy folks.

Figured I would fire up this thread to help out any folks who might be stuck, or need a little advice on how the game works.

I'll start off.
    • If you want to maximize your "junk" resources (for building shit or weapon/armor modification) make sure to manually scrap all of your junk. If something calls for 'Gears' and suggest using a Gold Watch, you will lose the Screws and Gold when the game does it for you. It may be time consuming, but take all of your Junk, drop it on the floor in one of your Settlements, and go into Workshop mode and manually scrap the stuff. You'll get a metric tonne more scavengable materials.
    • Adhesives are used in damn near everything. You can craft it, though. 'Vegetable Starch' is a craftable item in any Cooking Station. You need 2 Mutefruit, 2 Corn, 2 Tato, and Purified Water. Set up your settlements gardens and enjoy.
    • So far, I've discovered that if you have Codsworth as a Companion he will find your more and more likable the more you do Science stuff, like Armor/Weapons Mods. He will dislike you for taking any drugs other than Stimpacks. Piper will like you the more you pick locks.
    Many thanks to Speedy and Gaw for pointing out that I AM WRONG-WRONG-WRONG-WRONG...I'M WRONG, I'M WRONG...I'M WROOOOOOONG!

Last edited: 12 Nov 2015
  2. HellJack A message was delivered, and received.

A few more, regarding Companions:

• Strong likes when you are a cannibal and you fucking murder non-hostile targets, and dislikes Lockpicking and when ever you get into your Power Armor...so, fuck him.
    • Cait likes Lockpicking, drinking booze, and when you're walking around naked (funny commentary when I took all my armor off to repair it and store shit)

3. nlspeed Rex Omnium Imperarum

Are you very sure about this? A lot of people said this originally, but then people started testing and said it wasn't true, that you can find the components somewhere.

About the companions; there are companions who can pick locks and hack for you too (see the spoiler in the link below - it's not really a spoiler here, I suppose, considering Jack already mentions Cait, but eh).

This is an excellent list. Especially, for example, how you can move settlement items by placing them onto the rug and then moving the rug; the game only checks the rug's collisions / clipping.

4. Hooch Luckiest man alive.

• Standing/crouching right up at a wall will allow your character to peek out and shoot from cover.

5. HellJack A message was delivered, and received.

I don't know, man. All I know is that I tend to have more crap available when I do it the long way.

I sincerely don't trust the game to do it for me. But hell, I might be very wrong.

6. Gaw discord is my friend now

A reddit chain says the opposite, are you sure?

7. nlspeed Rex Omnium Imperarum

Also; don't pick up bobbleheads right away if you want to get to 11 in a SPECIAL stat; the only way to do that is to get to level 10 and then pick up a bobblehead.

8. HellJack A message was delivered, and received.

I am not.

Apparently, this new crafting system has attacked me and I've been rendered confused.

9. The MC Official GM PropHunt Manager

• When in stealth you still run by default and have to hold your walk key to move slower (you can also toggle between them, bound to CAPS by default). If you feel like you're being detected too often when in stealth mode, it's possibly because you're running and not walking.
    • The Mister Sandman perk enables you to instakill dormant ghouls (unconfirmed, the internet may have lied to me)

Last edited: 17 Nov 2015
  10. nlspeed Rex Omnium Imperarum

Adding on to that; you can shoot dormant ghouls. It seems like good policy to headshot corpses if you know ghouls are around.

11. Subv You ain't even lord of your yard

• You can only get crits if you are using VATS
    • you can blow up super mutant suiciders by shooting their explosive device, dealing massive damage to all enemies around them aswell
    • you can sometimes hit people through doors with melee.

12. Don't run away from a suicider by entereing a building, when you enter so does the super mutant and instantly blows up.

Also Dogmeat is great for kiting suiciders.

13. The MC Official GM PropHunt Manager

When using VATS to scan your surroundings, do not assume that you're all clear if it does not open, as there are actually two scenarios:
    1. VATS doesn't open and you hear a sound indicating that VATS did not open - This is your 'all clear' scenario
    2. VATS doesn't open and makes no sound - Proceed with caution, this means that there is something within your FOV, however the line of sight is obstructed so VATS cannot lock on to it

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wizard Wizard x 1
    • List
  14. Subv You ain't even lord of your yard

adding to this, this is why you don't trust vats blindly when checking for mines, i've got fucked over a lot of times when a mine was close to a wall and i thought i was all clear

15. @Hooch

16. Bagman Some cunt on the internet

Guess I'll put a spoiler on this since I'm mentioning a companion's name and their perk.

17. Subv You ain't even lord of your yard

18. HellJack A message was delivered, and received.

For those of you searching for scrap and materials, I"m guessing there are places that are designed for the accumulation of tonnes of specific junk.

Last edited: 19 Nov 2015
  19. Bagman Some cunt on the internet

Gonna write this in the least spoilery way possible (only relevant for railroad)

lost 2 hours of progress because of this bug and there's no way to fix it without reloading.

E: I guess the greatest tip I can give related to this, is to have hard saves every 1-2 hours (ideally)

20. The MC Official GM PropHunt Manager

If you use the following settings for pipboy colour, you transform your pipboy flashlight from the horrible default green light in to a much more pleasant and effective white light (and the pipboy interface is a more pleasant green imo):

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Wizard Wizard x 3
    • List

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. fo4 tips

2. tips for starting fo4

3. how to use fo4 copypasta

4. how to get onto pwyden fo4,
  5. fo4 fun tips,
  6. fo4 tipps,
  7. tips for fo4,
  8. how to scrap all fo4,
  9. finding screws in fo4 game