Low-mid range Gaming Desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software' started by Humpers, 23 Nov 2014.

1. Humpers GM's Resident #420 Twatmeister General

Made a post similar to this before when I asked for a build of a decent but cheap pc but never actually saved up the money I thought I would do to various reasons. This time I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestion for a fairly decent gaming desktop as I am completely fed up with my shitty laptop and am thinking of persuading my dad to contribute towards one for christmas etc. It's about time I can actually play some of the AAA titles in my steam library instead of attempting/just flat out not running them on this potato.

Needs to be vaguely decent, decent fps on medium-high settings kind of deal. Under a grand and below like £800 if at all possible. Another preference would be easily upgradable, not one of those bullshit prebuilts that makes it next to impossible to do anything with.

Cheeyarz

EDIT: Meh builds too if better performance:price ratio (case included)

Last edited: 23 Nov 2014
  2. get an xbox one and play call of duty

fuckin nerd

but realistically i built mine last september for ~650 and it still runs AAA games on high or ultra

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Humpers GM's Resident #420 Twatmeister General

Tbf if anyone has got any particular builds that will work and are cheap go for it.

4. Cookies4you Crippling Pickling Prickling Disorder

Building a list right now.

I'll edit this post in a bit. THE LIST HAS BEEN MADE.

Have at it you crazy Brits.

Last edited: 24 Nov 2014
    • Like Like x 3
    • Wizard Wizard x 1
    • List
  5. RAM-wise, get this instead (or any similar crucial ballistix branded 2x4gb kit - they're as close as you are going to get to the famous Samsung Green)

Whole different league to anything OCUK are selling, and at pretty much the same price

6. Cookies4you Crippling Pickling Prickling Disorder

Also, what's the current BANG-FOR-YOUR-BUCK AMD cards?

Last season they were the HD 7770, 7850, and 7870.

These R7/R9 cards keep screwing me up so I have no idea what the hell is what.

7. Built something at your £800 budget (less if you get your os from elsewhere)

i5 4960k

EVGA Nvidia GTX 970

Gigabyte Z97P-D3

Crucial Ballistix 2x4gb ram

Coolermaster Silencio case

Seagate 1tb hdd

XFX 650w xxx psu

Samsung dvd drive

Windows 8.1 retail

8. damn it dark it thinks amazon links are videos....

even adding the url tags manually doesn't work.

I give up, I cant link amazon links.

9. Subv You ain't even lord of your yard

>78£ for windows 8.1
    >implying people still pay for windows

10. cenpls Original Bhoomika Gupta

Literally got forced 8.1 on me in a mandatory update :fox:

11. Cookies4you Crippling Pickling Prickling Disorder

Silly Brits, Cali schools don't pay for it either.

So no free uni copies for us bottom feeders.

With how badly ISPs like to fuck us, it's usually just easier to just buy the damn thing.

12. audiosl4ve Saitama's underling

maybe go with some lower HDD and consider buying SSD. Samsung EVO series is good but not expensive. Intel has some great SSD-s too and yet there are still not expensive as they were before. You can find it for like 100 $ and i think they are great investment

13. I have to agree with Audio - if you can cut corners in other areas like the case/ DVD drive (I can't even remember the last time I used my DVD drive) then try and get an SSD - they speed up the general responsiveness of your PC to no end.

14. Humpers GM's Resident #420 Twatmeister General

Yeah I was going through various builds and realising that I'm not going to need a dvd drive at all. I think I've used my current one a total of 6 times and I've had this pc for 4 years now.

15. Cookies4you Crippling Pickling Prickling Disorder

If you're installing Windows, you'll probably want a DVD drive since it's one of the easier ways of installing it.

Also, if you're like me who has a family that rents Red Box movies, your DVD drive will see plenty of usage.

16. audiosl4ve Saitama's underling

well in these times it's not necessary to have DVD drive in your pc. You can install win, any linux distro and boot anything you want from USB. Still i would suggest you have one, just in case, cause you never know what you will need it for. It's not expensive but still does the job easier. Put some 500 gb HDD and maybe you can fit in some 120 GB SSD which is plenty for your OS and maybe some games and programs that you use the most.

17. iSimon Officially Canadian

Didn't have a CD drive for the first 6 months of owning my PC. Was nice. I mean its only $15 later on really.

Samsung 840 EVO SSD. Best purchase I've made to date. Excellent bang for your buck SSD. Awesome performance, good reliability. Been running mine hard for 2 years now without flaw.

18. imFree (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Could someone recommend a CPU from 100-150€

not making a thread to ask one question

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Sexual Tension Sexual Tension x 1
    • List
  19. Cookies4you Crippling Pickling Prickling Disorder

Mobo chipset?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)