New Map: ph_cchotel (beta 1)

Discussion in 'PropHunt' started by Beetle, 19 Aug 2010.

1. New Map: ph_cchotel (beta 3) (last updated 1/5/12)

Hello, I just joined the forums a few days ago because I have a new map to share.
    It is a community-made map set in a hotel. I made the hotel and a room template, and then I asked members of my community to make their own room. Seeing as this is a community map, it also has members' art displayed around the hotel like hung paintings.

I then thought it would be a good idea to shrink the map to the size of still a pretty large prophunt map.

Download Link for B#: http://www.beetle.calculatedchaos.com/maps/ph_cchotel_b3.zip

It's worth updating to B3 for anyone that still plays this because I fixed a major bug: the one that allowed a player to stand on the door to the terrarium, locking people out of it. I also added some ammo.

More Screenshots: http://www.beetle.calculatedchaos.com/cc-hotel-prop-hunt-beta-1/

[​IMG]

B3 changelog:
    - added a small amount more of ammo
    - fixed abusive bug
    - switched around some props
    - slight optimization (probably unnoticeable)

B2 changelog:
    - Cut off all room hallways except for the room that is snowing making the map much smaller (in filesize too!)
    - Added many more props
    - Made all doors open faster so even a scout can run through them and not stop
    - Added 2 small healthkits to the 3rd and 1st floor lobby and added 1 on the 2nd floor lobby
    - Added a few more props to the config and named the config properly (ph_cchotel.cfg)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: 27 Nov 2013
  2. Bulletproof Last one alive, Lock the door.

Haha looks pretty awsome

3. Geit Coding wizard!

Will play it in a sec, just a quick note config should not include the version number.

4. This my dear friend is one of the best made maps i've seen so far. A good amount of detail to everything, very nice :)

Now that said, I dunno how it'll run in PropHunt. Need more props basically. Most of the rooms are near empty and it would be too easy to run in quick glance and kill anything that shouldn't be in there.

5. Mole45 Dance Little Liar

Absolutely EPIC map, but much much much too big for PH

6. coffeejunky GM's Tea-boy

As has been said this is a really nicely detailed map. Well done indeed good sir.
    Upon playing here are my thoughts -
    Change the delay on the door opening, it can be a bit annoying having to said for it to slide open.
    It is really very much too big sadly :( especially with all the nice little hidden places and ledges. It needs to be at least half the size it currently is IMO, which is a shame as some of that brushwork may go to waste, as it stands though it's just too much to search. If you could say keep it to 3 levels and reduce the number of rooms and length of the corridors it should be better.

That being said I loved exploring it. (I did get a client crash on downloading though, about a world model 24 issue, might want to look into it)

7. gRiMrEaPeRsco Thunder ... wait for it ... Penis

yeah, this map is far to big for ph and there are very few hiding spots

8. Lets the trainset style wars reopen!!!!

9. Oi, there were a ton of hiding spots in trainset! XD

10. Thanks for the replies, guys.
    I named the config that because I thought config files for maps had to have an identical name. So, sorry about that.

As for gameplay changes, do you think it would benefit more if I completely blocked off the hallways with the player-made rooms (aside from being able to get out of red spawn)?

Do you mean the BLU spawn doors need to be faster or every single door?

Also, I've heard of a client crashing the first time someone downloads it before. If it is indeed a model error I'll just try to start replacing custom models with stock models I guess.

11. Think he means every single door.

The basic problem is the lack of hiding spots, right now it would be like a rhino hiding behind a small shrub. Simply too easy to spot.
    Block off some of the hallways and then add some more crates debris chairs and what not in hee hallways you keep and fill some of the rooms with a bit more than the standard layout.
    Though that would require messing up what you guys already made which is a shame :/

12. Any room with weapon models in it is not my room. Aka, I made a high percentage of the map myself, so I can change anything I want.
    Also, this is the ph version. There's an unchanged version on the blog site I listed where people can just screw around with no game mode set.
    In other words, I want to make this a popular and balanced map for prophunt even if it means cutting it down tremendously. I'll start by moving the gates in the hallways closer to the central room of the hotel. I'll also add more believable piles of props, rather than just randomly placed crates.

13. Mole45 Dance Little Liar

right then, much of this has been said before but I just did another playtest with 14 people who hadn't played it before, the feedback was this:
    Too Big for that many people, some thought it would be good on a full server
    Awesome rooms
    Bit too dark/ gray, mainly the long corridors
    Loved the showers/Club
    Music buttons (a common request on all maps), e.g. Cheesy Elevator music/lounge music
    More Props
    5 mins is just about the right time, not long enough to make people in spec get bored but not short enough to not be able to get around with a near full server
    More pickups (ammo crates, health packs etc) there seemed to be very few-none on the map meaning people ran out of ammo/ had to keep going back to the CP, bad for both sides

People gave it a 9/10 on the map
    5-6/10 for a PH map

14. 5 mins? I had it set to 15mins. If its really 5mins then whoever uploaded it changed it to 5 mins...which I don't mind - just saying.

I'm working on b2 which will have all the changes requested minus maybe the music. I'm burnt out on music buttons in maps.

15. Mole45 Dance Little Liar

Yeh, we played it at 15, Geit changed it to 5, 15 mins means you get one change to play red and once chance to play blu if you are lucky

16. Well no wonder its too big if you only have 5 mins to find everyone :P. But really I kinda had a feeling it would even be too big at 15 minutes. I'll change it to 5 mins in my new rar when I hand it over.

Btw, thanks to everyone for the feedback. It was all great, but even if it were crappy its better than the people that are too lazy to give any :)

The good thing about prophunt maps is that they don't have to be symmetrical at all, and they are also fairly small.

17. Aww, I was really looking forward to the music (or should that be "muzak"? :P). Ah well, no bother; you have done an excellent job already on this map :) Far better than I and a lot of other players could do haha.

18. Btw, for anyone that can answer, should I place any small health kits around or is that ill-advised?

19. coffeejunky GM's Tea-boy

Yeah a few on each level should be fine :)
    No need for large healthpacks or medkits though.

20. Update to b2, also on first post of this thread:
    http://beetle.calculatedchaos.com/maps/ph_cchotel_b2.rar

B2 changelog:
    - Cut off all room hallways except for the room that is snowing making the map much smaller (in filesize too!)
    - Added many more props
    - Made all doors open faster so even a scout can run through them and not stop
    - Added 2 small healthkits to the 3rd and 1st floor lobby and added 1 on the 2nd floor lobby
    - Added a few more props to the config and named the config properly (ph_cchotel.cfg)

Lemme know if you can when you're going to playtest. I'd like to join you :)
    Also, could a mod take out the "beta 1" of my title? I didn't realize you couldn't edit it again.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ph_cchotel

2. ph_cchotel_b2

3. cchotel_b2 download

4. terrarium room,
  5. PH CCHOTEL B2,
  6. tf2 ph_cchotel,
  7. ph cc_hotel b2,
  8. map download ph_cchotel,
  9. cchotel_b3 secret room,
  10. tf2 ph hotel