Official Old Skool PH - March 17th/18th

Discussion in 'PropHunt' started by Shinkzy, 10 Mar 2012.

1. box Banned

Just sayin', people have said to me I have said nigga, and still got banned.

2. Dan Chief Detective at GM Police HQ - Jagex #1 Fan!

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  3. Dan Chief Detective at GM Police HQ - Jagex #1 Fan!

[​IMG]

Fucking lol.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Zing Zing x 1
    • Sweaty Sweaty x 1
    • List
  4. You think that's bad? I download at 300 kb/s.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • Douglas Douglas x 1
    • List
  5. Bagman Some cunt on the internet

You think that's bad? I have to live with Scandinavian internet :(

6. Cookies4you Crippling Pickling Prickling Disorder

At least you can play PH with < 100 ping, my average latency fluctuates from 150 to 600 in the UK servers.

If anyone bothers to ask, here's some invisible information:

My average ping on the US servers range from around 50 to 400, fluctuating less than the UK servers.

7. Orlov Yan THE Orlov

My connection supposed to be around the 2 MB/s but I download at around 200 KB/s and lower.
    Not mentioning I live in the fucking middle east.

8. oh noes :[

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • List
  9. Cookies4you Crippling Pickling Prickling Disorder

A 2 MB connection is quite fast by American standards. Your internet probably isn't in MB's, but rather, in Mb's.

MB = Megabyte
    Mb = Megabit
    KB = Kilobyte
    MB = 8 Mb
    2 MB = 16 Mb
    16 Mb = 2048 KB
    2 Mb = 256 KB

It's no wonder you download at < 200 KB/s, your maximum download speed is capped at 256 kilobytes/second.

Here's are my suggestions:
    • Upgrade your internet to something with a minimum of 5 Megabits. 5 Mb/s is the bare requirement for a stable gaming connection
    • If you have an internet speed of 2 MB/s(not 2 Mb/s), your router/modem may be bottle-necking your connection
    • If none of the above choices are possible, immigrate elsewhere once you become 18
    • Alternatively, stop playing TF2 on UK servers

• Douglas Douglas x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Are you utterly retarded

11. Cookies4you Crippling Pickling Prickling Disorder

Am I? Please explain what I douglas'd on, Dark-san, so that I may punish myself accordingly...

... No, seriously, what did I fuck up on? My knowledge follows American standards. Where I live, we have tier based internet, and 5 Mb/s is the norm.

Cookies4you
    This message by Cookies4you has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
  12. Everywhere else in the world speed is independent of quality (ping, shaping, etc)

13. coffeejunky GM's Tea-boy

Ping and packet loss are the two most important factors in gaming generally, rather than connection speed (connection speed will only really impact map loading time for new maps, and the amount of clients that can be accurately displayed). You can have a very high speed internet connection but also have terrible ping (Virgin media tend to suffer from this, particularly at peak times depending on area, as does BT's ADSL service which suffers from terrible contention rates). I have quite slow speed internet (2.5Mb), but my ping to GM servers is excellent (sub 20ms) and I have zero packet loss, and never experience any noticeable lag playing TF2 on UK servers. Now the further you live from the UK, often the more 'hops' your connection has to take to get to its destination (think of these like changing flights on the way to a holiday). Generally US>UK is quite fast, but due to various issues Middle East > UK (older connections, more unstable countries, older kit, etc) is often somewhat slower. Now on top of this, wireless connections add further complications to gaming ability. Even with a high signal strength you are at the mercy of the airwaves, a sudden burst of interference from your neighbour's microwave or cordless phone and you can potentially experience some momentary packet loss. The data processing to convert the signal to wireless and back again also increases latency. Ideally you cannot beat the reliability of a good old fashioned cable (powerplug adaptors are better than wireless, but bear in mind they are also susceptible to interference if your house has very old or poor wiring).

So, in short, speed is not everything. Whilst increased speed may be a relatively good indicator of increased line quality, it is not always the case.

Also -
    >American standards

EDIT: Dangit Dark y u no explain fully.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  14. Shinkzy Living Legend

NO MY E-PENIS IS BIGGER!

15. Orlov Yan THE Orlov

>American standards
    >American

Also I'm pretty sure it's MB thank you very much, I have 2 PCs using the same router FYI.

I r poor jewz, gibe me moniez coz holocost so I kan immigrantz.

16. Sven++ Rogue Of Heart <3

So what was this thread about in the first place?
    :P

17. Cookies4you Crippling Pickling Prickling Disorder

It was an event hosted by Shinkz to gather the Veteran Prop Hunt players into a single server to play for a few hours. Two of them were hosted in total, and I believe you can still find the PH Old School server in the server lists.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)