Pointshop

Discussion in 'Garry's Mod' started by Gaw, 18 Mar 2013.

?

Should we install Pointshop on the TTT server?

Poll closed 23 Mar 2013.
  1. Yes

68.2%
  2. No

13.6%
  3. Don't play/own Garry's Mod

18.2%
  1. Gaw discord is my friend now

READ THREAD ENTIRELY BEFORE VOTING

This is a suggestion that I've personally shot down many, many times. But given the current state of TTT in Garry's Mod, I think a reconsideration is in order. Our server is nearly always empty. Before the prevalence of Pointshop, it usually filled by itself without any GM interaction. Now, no randomers join. Not even when it's filled by us to the tune of 8-12 people. The pointshop I'm proposing would initially probably just include hats. It can be expanded to other areas, such as models and weapon reskins in the future though.

To those not aware, Pointshop is an addon for Garry's Mod that acts as a store, allowing people to purchase hats etc and gives a certain amount of credits while playing on the server. Here is an image.

Advantages of Pointshop:
    • Adds a huge amount of re-playability to the server: TF2 is an awesome example of this in action. People will be coming back just to earn credits and to buy silly hats, and will reduce the repetitive nature of playing the same maps by a good margin.
    • Will increase the amount of players: I've spoken to a few other server operators about this, and they are adamant that they received a large influx of players when they installed Pointshop. Servers that were previously empty, were now full every single day with a nice set up.
    • Possibility for donations: People are willing to buy the credit currency used in the Pointshop for small donations. If we get randomers to donate a pound or two, they're now invested in the server and have greatly increased loyalty. It might help supplement the current dedi's position too (Dark is paying for the colo right now)
    Disadvantages of Pointshop:
    • Identifying people might become easier: Situations such as 'KOS the guy with the afro', 'KOS the guy with the golden deagle' could appear. Other server operators say that this tends to not happen on their servers though. In a lot of situations, people will just look at their name and their apparel would not come into it at all.
    • Server becomes more fun, less serious: This is already happening on the server, but this would reinforce the change. We'd be more likely to adopt 'fun' addons and weapons in the future, and it moves away from the whole 'Super Serious TTT' that some people might want. Not necessarily a disadvantage.
    I'd like everyone to carefully consider their vote, and explain why they have voted for what they did. If you've got other observations, post them here too.

2. Subv You ain't even lord of your yard

TTT should be a serious gamemode, which is fun to mumble/speaking while playing, if it becomes all silly it loses from it's value.

3. I have to agree with this. And I think Cactus will too - I've witnessed this first hand. Me and Cactus played on 2 separate DarkRP servers, the latter with pointshop. Even with both empty early in the morning, the one with pointshop seems to fill itself up much quicker by itself, and many more people donated to said server.

It would be nice too because, say the server's empty, and a couple of guys log in to the server just for some points. Then other people will see "hey, people are on that TTT" and join it two, and the guys who are AFKing actually play because there are people around. Doesn't seem likely, but I've seen it happen countless times.

TL;DR - Won't affect me personally, but I think it'll be good for the server, and it will be less of a hassle to actually start up TTT.

Subv - TTT always ends in laughs anyway. Sometimes I have more fun losing than I do winning, due to any circumstances. Winning as a traitor may be super fun, but you don't have to put on the hats to distinguish yourself if you don't want to, and if everybody's dicking around then it's much easier for you anyway.

4. People like numbers, progression and customization.

5. Subv You ain't even lord of your yard

But I don't want it to be easy :<
    But I guess some things most happen, I don't really like pointshop but w/e, if it's good for the server and other people, it's good for me.

6. Mister Spuds I don't understand what's going on here...

This is quite a tough call. When it comes to easily identifying someone that should be a fault only they can blame themselves for, if you don't want this to happen to you then don't buy it. I can see it attracting players as they are essentially making an investment in the server. We could always do a trial run and see how it goes.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Gaw discord is my friend now

I did want to get a conclusive result from this one way or the other, as it's a very difficult addon to install and configure properly. It would need many hours of work to get right, so I wouldn't want to add it and then just have people be like 'haha this addon is crap, remove it Gaw!' as that would be a huge waste of time :V

8. Hooch Luckiest man alive.

i voted yes as i like the customization and don't really care for the fact that people will be able to call me out easier.
    the items won't be forced upon you so the player should know what he's getting himself into if he makes his character easy to spot/identify.

also, i dont know how hard it is to create weapons for TTT but maybe a weapon could be made that will change your looks into those of another player (you would keep your ingame name and maybe have the disguise thing on a toggle)
    so that the people who want the cosmetic items only for the innocent rounds dont have the added risk of making the game harder for themselves when they are traitors.

9. Question: Will the disguiser give you the same 'hat' loadout as the guy you're disguised as?

10. Don't see how this would affect the seriousness of TTT

What we really need to stop is all the dumb admin abuse such as jail and bring etc.

11. Mister Spuds I don't understand what's going on here...

I see. And I guess that would mean also leaving those who have been perma-banned, stay perma-banned like Dan? I honestly don't see how bring/jailing pre or post round does much harm at all.

12. Don't bring that into it, I hate him as much as you all do

Pre/post round is slightly more acceptable but still gives the server a bad image and rustles my jimmies

13. I think the pointshop is a good idea , I do see how silly frog hats and stuff might decrease the seriousness of the game which some people love. Really depends on the audience your aiming for , and what people really want , I mean there'll always be a few messers who stop it being anyway serious as it is, I'd say if it's sure to increase numbers coming to the server , it's a good plan.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ttt better pointshop server side download

2. pointshop 2 Murder

3. pointshop ttt

4. pointshop pet gmod,
  5. ttt pointshop,
  6. gmod ttt pointshop,
  7. tttpoint shop,
  8. how to apply a point shop toi a ttt server,
  9. pointshop gmod show around,
  10. pointshop 2 on guess who