Thoughts on discord

Discussion in 'Server/Website Chat' started by Jolly Long Arm, 26 Jan 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jolly Long Arm The Moon... It's far away!

for those who don't know what it is check out https://discordapp.com/
    otherwise share your thoughts:
    Is it crap? or good

2. Mystia the Schnitzel Delivery Guy

It's okay
    Big plus for it being free

3. Gaw discord is my friend now

Obviously it looks great on the tin, and tons of Twitch Streamers are setting up servers for their subs. Getting people to move from other services will be very difficult though. My only concern is privacy/encryption.

4. Jolly Long Arm The Moon... It's far away!

and no spock haha

5. Good luck to them scaling this lol, looks like they're actually trying to host everything themselves. That means forking out gobloads of bandwidth, not to mention the latency from such a busy centralised voip system. No amount of computer science hipster Erlang is going to magically make this better than Mumble at the most important thing which is low latency and high quality voip. The GM mumble server will run fucking rings around discord for that purpose.

I guarantee within a few months and/or when this really takes off, they will be adding a tonne of advertising and dropping the voice bandwidth as far as they possibly can. They may even try and make people pay if you want more than x people in a single channel, which is where the bandwidth issue really scales up.

I reckon I'll stick with Mumble - open source, lighter weight (discord looks like it uses embedded webkit, cbf downloading to verify, but it's likely a ram and idle cpu hog like the new spotify) and properly encrypted

But on the other hand, Skype should be very worried

Last edited: 26 Jan 2016
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. NomNom Chompski BURNING LOVEEEE

This^. Friends are insisting on using it cos of its freeness even thought they cohld ask me to setup a ts3 server but i digress. The ios app is a load of crap however the desktop program is lightweight and isnt an idle hog.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  7. Dan Chief Detective at GM Police HQ - Jagex #1 Fan!

The iOS app actually isn't bad at all. Works very smoothly, nice UI, no complaints.

8. Jolly Long Arm The Moon... It's far away!

Guess what devices they left out......

9. NomNom Chompski BURNING LOVEEEE

Well they have an android and ios app, so they have everything covered!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. audiosl4ve Saitama's underling

Symbian maybe?

11. spidEY シスコン

Their UI is a total ripoff of Slack:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Dec 2016
  12. NomNom Chompski BURNING LOVEEEE

Bumping up, Discord has really came a long way and imo has surpassed mumble/ts/skype, I know a few members (me included) would probably be more active in voice if we had a Discord server. Lets get the hype train going!

13. Queenie Don't tell me what to do!!!

So I downloaded it and played with it a bit but I am still yet to see why people would be more active with a GM Discord versus Mumble. They both just require you to log in/on and move to your desired channel.

Unless the only reason is because friends in other social groups are on discord too and you would have to have Discord and Mumble open. But that would still make me wonder in which group of friends you would stay seeing as most don't join Mumble even before Discord was a thing.

I am not against Discord but I feel I am missing why it would be "better".

14. NomNom Chompski BURNING LOVEEEE

Discord is becoming one of those programs for most gamers to have, take mine currently, im in 10 servers between all the different communitys im a part of including my own, and its nice being able to text talk in all of thrm at once and easily hop between voice channels between them all and the range of bots you can get is nice, can get music bots and allsorts.

15. Cactus The key is to never give up

Yeah easy to move between servers if you play with different people, also like offline chat history I guess.

Also it's easy to connect with people who might not be on mumble all the time (imagine if Steam had like good group chats and VoIP) because you can link your steam/origin/league to discord and find people through that.

16. NomNom Chompski BURNING LOVEEEE

Offline chat history is super handy cos you can tag someone and they'll be able to see it when they're next on.

17. Jolly Long Arm The Moon... It's far away!

soooooooooooo who wants to make the official Gm one.
    also nudge @Dark and @Geit to make kirino / spock ;)
    potentially possible to add DSock to its own text channel

18. Kutti Kutti

I love the idea of there being a discord server for GM.
    Before a few days ago I didnt even know what mumble was, and was much more familiar with discord.

19. Gaw discord is my friend now

Server created! New thread located here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)