My monitor shuts off while playing games.

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software' started by Popstar, 17 Feb 2014.

1. HI everyone!

I am posting this on this forum hoping anyone here might know what the problem is, and what I can do to solve it.

When I am playing games like League of Legends my monitor shuts off after a few minutes (I'd say like 10min)
    and then the audio like 5 seconds later. I'll not be able to turn the monitor on again before I restart the computer which is pretty annoying.

My temps are all good, I've checked them.. so overheating is not a problem! I've tried to download the latest driver and stuff aswell.

AMD Radeon XFX 6970
    Intel Core i7 CPU - 920 @ 2.67GHz 2.67 GHz

Need more information?

Thanks in advance!

2. Maybe your monitor make would be helpful? I have no idea what the problem may be but I feel people who may have an idea may need the monitor make and model or something :)

3. Is it yr mum tryin' to get you to do yr homework?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  4. Sim Burner of props and hunter of hunters

Is it actually your monitor shutting down, or is your graphics card fucking up?

5. Well, that's what I would like to know.

I don't think the monitor is the problem either, it has happned to both of my monitors.
    I just cleared the PSU's heatsink for a lot of dust.. maybe that might solve the problem?
    And I don't know if the GPU is the problem either.. how can I find out?

I'am playing League Of legends atm btw.. with GPU temp at 56*C (132 *F) that isn't actually hot is it?

6. coffeejunky GM's Tea-boy

Although I still wouldn't rule out driver issues (check in Event Log for any 'display driver stopped responding' messages at the time the failure happens), it could well be a GPU power delivery problem of some sort. What make and model is your PSU?
    Visually inspect your GPU for any sign of bulging or damaged capacitors.

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Dec 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. I got:
    Corsair Powersupply ATX, CMPSU-1000HXEU

The only error I get in the Event log is called "Live kernel Error".

8. coffeejunky GM's Tea-boy

PSU should be OK, lets rule that out for now.
    A quick google of that error seems to bring up some issues related to GPU/driver issues.
    At this point these are some things you can try -
    Completely uninstall drivers and use a driver sweeper, then install latest (or older known good) drivers. Reinstalling windows would be a pain, and a drastic measure, but possibly something to consider?
    Visually inspect capacitors on GPU.
    Try underclocking the core and memory until you get stability, you'll probably need to use a program such as MSI afterburner to go below stock clocks.

9. Well, I have considered to Re-formating my computer, but my Windows Key is missing.. I've lost it somewhere in my house :P
    Can you please give me a more detailed explaination of the underclocking part?

10. Bad motherboard or ram, if we're ignoring the PSU for now

Run memtest86 overnight

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Users found this page by searching for:

1. monitor turns off when playing games

2. monitor turns off while playing games

3. my monitor shuts off when i play games

4. my monitor turns off while playing games,
  5. when i play a game my monitor shuts down,
  6. monitors shutting off while playing games,
  7. monitor shutting off while gaming,
  8. amd pubg monitor turns off,
  9. monitors shut down when playing games,
  10. monitor powers off while playing games